Monday, September 8, 2008

Putting My Two Cents Where It Likely Isn't Welcome

(I totally stole this picture from Frank because it's the BEST EVER!)

I have been struggling as of late, with how to articulate all the shit going on (in my head as well as in real life). Not only is it that time of year again, but things have just been weird this past while. From the sudden death of my uncle last month, to the unusual acting out of my youngest son last week, things have just been off. Although I love fall/winter, I feel unready for it, due to the miserable weather we had this summer. Everything is just wrong.

One thing I find myself obsessed with, is the American election. We have our own election coming up next month, but I can't even concentrate on who I'm going to vote for, because I'm too busy watching what's going on with our neighbours.

At first, I was just intrigued by how things would work out between Barack and Hilary. I personally thought that an Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket would be ideal either way; to my way of thinking, as long as the Republican-War Mongering- Anti-Gay- Anti-Abortion- God Squad Machine is stopped, it really doesn't matter. Hilary and Barack have their strenghts and weakness, but they share core ideals. I was absolutely positive the American people simply would not continue with the same bullshit, with the exception of course, of the greedy little piggy, bible thumping types and the racists.

When Hilary lost the race and some people insisted that it was only because she's a woman, I thought the idea was just as absurd as the possibility that people would vote for her just because she's a woman. These were just FemmeNazis insisting they're being held down. Sure, some misogynists out there voted Hilary out, but really, there are more women in the united states than men, and what's best for the country can't possibly come down to what's between the Commander in Chief's legs can it? Of course not!! As it turns out, there are a contingent of (feminists?) who believe this to be the case. Yes, they are so concerned with their own sense of woman-ness that they might actually put every core belief aside, just to be sure there is a vagina in the White House at the end of the day. Vital issues aside, they want a woman, even a woman who's values are completely contrary to their own!

When McCain announced his pick, I laughed, out loud and hard, that he thought he could actually play the woman card and sway Hilary supporters. I found it wholy insulting that he thought smart, strong feminist women would buy into this ridiculous ploy. After all, Hilary herself is begging her supporters to back Obama; and feminist women are strong and intellegent and therefore must understand that just because someone is female does not make her best for the job!

Alas, I was wrong. Smart, 'feminist' women are buying it hook, line and sinker. Many are willing to put aside everything they believe in. They're willing to go against their fellow women for their own personal satisfaction.

I ask these women, who could very well sway the election with their need for vaginal power...how far does this go? Do they allow a woman with no medical degree do their child's open heart surgery because she's a woman, and therefore automatically more qualified than any male doctor? Are they really willing to put us back a bazillion years by not accepting that men and women are, in fact, equal as a sex, but are not always qualified for the same positions? Do they really want their daughters to be given a hand-out, rather than a hand up?

Do they really want to continue to make their sons feel inferior because they are not girls? We are already telling our little boys that they aren't equal. We are telling them they're inferior when we say that girls are special and deserve to have all-girl clubs, and all-girl sports teams, and they should rule the world, but they as little boys, they are not allowed the same rights. They are not deserving of their own clubs. We are so special that they cannot have BOY scouts or an all-boy hockey league, or a male version of Curves. We are telling them they aren't good enough, because they aren't like us, and we can do everything they can do, only we can do it better. We are teaching our children that we don't merely want equality, we want absolute power.

To make matters worse, there are plenty of racist democrats, who will vote McCain because Obama is black. Women who vote for McCain after he played them like the fiddle he sees them as, makes them no better than racists. It makes them sexist.

I have been trying to sort out why this makes me so furious, and have come to realize that it's because I cannot do a thing to change it, yet what happens over the boarder inadvertently affects me here in Canada. I am not allowed a vote, but I must live with the consequences. I am reduced to hoping that enough smart American women see through the lies. I can only pray that smart, strong women will send the message to McCain that he can't fool them, because they are not so insecure as to fall for his evil plot to rule the world. I dearly wish that they will send the message to their little girls that we win some, we lose some, and for little boys; even if you're black, you can still be president!

5 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

e, I love you and I know this is a sensitive issue for both of us, but that's a gross oversimplification.
And you're conflating ideology with qualifications.

I know a lot of smart people who will be voting for Obama and a lot of smart people who will be voting for McCain. Those voters differ greatly in their values, but not their intelligence or their ability to analyze the issues.

I like the doctor example, because I actually do choose to go to see women doctors rather than men. I tend to feel more comfortable and communicate better with them, which means they are able to give me better, more informed care.

I would almost always choose a female doctor educated at a no-name medical school over a Harvard educated male doctor. But if given a choice between a woman with no medical degree at all and a man with a medical degree, I'd choose the man.

And I don't see that as sexist or discriminatory. Male doctors are not going to go out of business (unless they are gynecologists). ;) In fact, they still dominate, not just medicine in general, but all the highest paying and most prestigious fields in medicine.

50% of the population is still male and many of them may prefer men just the way I do women. And of course there will be folks of both genders who are equally comfortable with both.

I think, to a certain extent, this extends to elections. In fact, I'd say that some people picked Obama on the basis of things like charisma and ideology rather than his ability to do the job. And it's certainly valid for them to do that.

I think my rambling point here is that I don't believe that more than a few completely crazy people vote solely on the basis of race or gender. But I do think that everyone takes race and gender into account (consciously or not). And I don't believe any but that same vanishingly small number would vote for (or hire or patronize) someone completely unqualified (e.g. no medical degree).

I don't agree with John McCain's ideology, but he's not unqualified for the job of president. And while I don't feel comfortable with Sarah Palin's experience, I can't say that I feel much more comfortable with Obama's. And he's the head of the ticket, not the running mate.

At this point, I'm not voting for either.

(And thus I put my 2 cents where it's not wanted! Sigh. Just can't let go of some of these election thoughts. Sorry, e!)

~e~ said...

Oh Mary, you know your two cents are always welcome here! And yes, I know it is also a sensitive issue for you, but our same-sex love affair allows us to ramble at one another!

(my dr. analogy really should have been the question you answered, but I went way overboard on it! Taking Gynecologists out of the equation, whoever is doing my son's heart surgery damn well better be the BEST doctor around, man or woman).

What scares me most is that the reason you're in the mess you're in with Bush is because based on a poll, so many people voted for him because he seemed like the kind of guy they'd like to have a beer with!

Perhaps Obama doesn't have tonnes of experience, but Palin has practically zero (like no medical degree), and given McCain's medical history and age, the chances of her getting to be president are far better than average!

Let me just say that I breathed a sigh of relief to read that you possibly aren't voting for either; No vote at all is better than one extra for the devil!

are we still in love?

Wait. What? said...

Ei I can totally relate to the anger that the Palin choice brought up for you - I too felt it - Cat

ThisJane said...

I felt that too! About Palin...literally I said ' are you kidding me' did he truley choose her JUST bc she is female? Wow...incredible. And now the email forward circulating of her in a bathing suit holding a gun, of her under age daughters getting drunk, it's just so unfortunate. Last night I was discussing with my girls...how we are scared but not going to choose McCain out of fear like most of his supporters. We want the change and so do so many others...I pray it comes.

(JME from JWC)

Meghan McKee said...

I just want to vote on someone for what is between their ears, not their legs. Unfortunately, between the ears doesn't seem to win lately either, *cough George Dubbya cough*

I been meaning to write back to this one for a bit too. hehe